It took me 3,000 calls, two flights, a car ride, 16 miles of hiking, and a few blisters that lasted me for months to get to Havasupai Falls. If you ask me today if I would do it all over again? The answer is yes. Havasupai has been one of thee best experiences I’ve ever lived. I remember I sat on my couch on February 1st with 2 phones making call after call to get someone on the line. Until the second day, I was finally able to get in touch with one of the people of the blue-green waters and they were so sweet to help me. I was able to book my trip for two people (at the time it was going to be only two of us). I booked online on their website that day and it was fairly easy. I was ecstatic to have reservations, because I was on their Instagram tag #havasupaifalls checking to see what people were posting, and a lot of folks were not able to get their reservations, so indeed I did consider myself lucky. So that’s when I officially started planning my trip to explore all the canyons (North and South rim).

Say Hi to Sam!

A few months later, I’ll never forget when Sam (my friend) starts texting me asking me about Havasupai and how to get to there. Which later turned out that she too was going to explore it, but had not booked anything, so sure enough, in one day we were able to book everything and make this trip a total of 4 gals. As you all know, my friends and I always travel together once a year, and we didn’t do it for 2016, because a lot of us moved out on our owns, so this trip was definitely meant to happen.

We had a very hard time getting Sam and Kat into the reservations that were already made to Havasupai, because typically they do not let you make any kind of changes, but I think we got extremely lucky for a second time.

We all decided to fly to Las Vegas and hang out for the day, and also, it’s one of the two closest airports to Havasupai (there’s Phoenix, Arizona as well). We drove to Kingman, Arizona that night and stayed at Ramada Inn. After exploring Las Vegas for a day, driving to the supermarket to purchase all of our food for the hike, we knocked out when we finally got to the hotel. I have to admit that the service was superb. You all know I barely stay at hotels, but for a one night stay it was everything.

We woke up extremely early, but technically we didn’t sleep much, but we had to be at the Hilltop as early as possible to be able to spend the entire day hiking. I was so sure this hike could be done within a few hours… NEGATIVE… I was so wrong, this definitely takes close to 7 hours to complete OR MORE. The amount of walking I did was devastating to the point that my entire feet were covered in blisters.

My friend Kat had a very hard time breathing, and she summed it up in a few words, “I don’t work out.” So, she definitely felt it the most out of all of us. I remember when we arrived at the village we were so happy to see some kind of civilization. I mean, HAPPY. Chanting happy thoughts in our heads kind of happy, because we were so dehydrated even after drinking tons of water, we couldn’t make up words even if we tried. We did get the biggest disappointing news just a few minutes later, one of the ladies whose market we entered because it had AC… yes, AC is appreciated after being outside in the 100-degree weather for 7 hours… She told us we still had an hour to get to the campsite. I think I’ve never laughed so hard in my life or fall on my behind that hard.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


  1. Seriously you are giving me life with your travel, you’re free spirit, and kind heart. Continue doing this and inspiring people to do the same! ❤️

    1. Thank you so much Kassandra, your comments mean a lot to me! hope you loved the post 🙂 – JC